Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Wester Lovat Farm

Pile(S) (19th Century)-(20th Century), Wharf (19th Century)-(20th Century)

Site Name Wester Lovat Farm

Classification Pile(S) (19th Century)-(20th Century), Wharf (19th Century)-(20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Baile-chul; River Beauly

Canmore ID 116615

Site Number NH54NW 40

NGR NH 541 464

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/116615

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kirkhill
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH54NW 40 541 464

NH 44/54 OS 542464 No. 8 Wester Lovat Farm.

There can be seen protruding from the river at low tide the round wooden piles of a wharf which was constructed, perhaps early last century, when the river was embanked further upstream, re-claiming the Carse of Lovat for cultivation. An estate map of 1800 reveals that there was a woodyard situated downstream at OS 543467 The township at the pier was known as Baile-chul.

Coghill 1989

Wharf; timber piles - observed.

CFA/MORA Coastal Assessment Survey 1998.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions