Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 67, 69 And 71 Cockburn Street

Hotel (Period Unassigned), Shop(S) (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 67, 69 And 71 Cockburn Street

Classification Hotel (Period Unassigned), Shop(S) (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 38 North Bridge, 2, 4, 6 And 8 Arcade; City Hotel

Canmore ID 116584

Site Number NT27SE 1261

NGR NT 25895 73690

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/116584

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (13 October 2008)

Horizontal rectangular relief with arabesques of foliage either side of a central cartouche. Among the tendrils are (from right to left) a bird in flight, a chameleon (or similar), a monkey with its back turned and tail hanging down. To the left of the cartouche (right to left) are another seated monkey but seen from the front, a bird sitting at its feet, an open-mouthed coiled snake and a cat's head.

Built as part of The Scotsman Buildings.

Inspected By : D. King

Inscriptions : On gable at top of building: 1902

Signatures : None Visible

Design period : 1899-1902

Year of unveiling : 1902

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0570)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions