Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 70 - 71 Princes Street, Edinburgh Cafe

Cafe (Modern)

Site Name Edinburgh, 70 - 71 Princes Street, Edinburgh Cafe

Classification Cafe (Modern)

Alternative Name(s) Crawford's Cafe

Canmore ID 116266

Site Number NT27SE 1207

NGR NT 25417 73911

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Architect: Hippolyte J Blanc

NMRS Reference

RIBA Drawings Collection, Hippolyte J Blanc 1886 - 1898, 54 sheets of drawings.


Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association ( set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (15 May 2002)

On top of the gable is a lion sejant (3-dimensional), holding a shield decorated with a lion rampant. In a round panel in the centre of the gable are the Edinburgh arms (a 3-towered castle on a rock flanked by a maiden (dexter) and a hind (sinister) with, above, an anchor). At the top of this panel is a keystone mask. Below the panel is carved foliage.

Either side of the 2nd floor bay window is an oval panel. The panel on the left (W.) is carved with a 3-towered castle on a rock [Edinburgh], that on the right (E.) is carved with a lion rampant.

Inspected By : T.S.

Inscriptions : On Edinburgh arms:


Signatures : None

Design period : 1886

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0953)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions