Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Skye, Sron Daraich

Cairn(S) (Bronze Age), Cist(S) (Bronze Age)

Site Name Skye, Sron Daraich

Classification Cairn(S) (Bronze Age), Cist(S) (Bronze Age)

Alternative Name(s) Inver Aulavaig

Canmore ID 11566

Site Number NG61SW 3

NGR NG 60586 12649

NGR Description NG 60585 12649 and NG 60585 12638

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/11566

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Sleat
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes ( - 1961)

NG61SW 3 6059 1264.

NG 6059 1264 near the shore at Inver Aulavaig, on the E side of the mouth of a small stream, Allt an Leth-bheinn, some 40 yards distant from and 22ft above high water mark, are the remains of two circular cairns of stone occupying a rough heathery ridge.

The first cairn measures 18ft in diameter and barely 2ft in height. It was opened many years ago when the greater portion of the northern half was removed, and a short cist containing a skeleton in a contracted position was discovered in the centre of the mound. The side slabs and one end are still in position and the covering stone lies beside the grave. The cist lies nearly NNE - SSW and measures 3ft 4ins in length, 2ft 2ins in depth, while the cover which is almost square in shape, measures 3ft 9ins long, 3ft 7ins in breadth and 6 ins thick.

The second cairn lies some 15ft (10.0m) SE of the first and is of the same dimensions but better preserved. It contains a central short cist, of which the sides and ends are still in situ. It lies almost due NE-SW and measures 3ft 4ins by 1ft 8ins by 1ft 10ins the cover-stone, which lies quite near, is of irregular shape and measures 3ft 4ins by 2ft 6ins and is 6ins thick.

The W slope of the ridge between the cairns and the estuary shows numerous small heaos of stone said to be the remains of other cairns. Some 27 yards SSW of the second cairn is a small cottar house, immediately to the N of which are the foundations of a former schoolhouse. When the material was being removed, a cist is reported to have been discovered under the floor which is no more than 12ft above high water mark.

(RCAHMS 1928).

Two cairns with short cists as described by RCAHMS.

'A' NG 605 127 Cist (Site of).

There is now no trace of the cist in the schoolhouse.

Visited by OS (A S P) 15 June 1961.

Activities

Field Visit (6 May 1914)

Cairns, lnver Aulavaig.

Near the shore at Inver Aulavaig on the south side of Loch Eishort, about 7/8 mile south-west of Ord, on the eastern side of the mouth of a small stream, Allt an Leth-bheinn, some 40 yards distant from and 22 feet above high-water mark, are the remains of two circular cairns of stone occupying a rough heathery ridge behind which the ground swells upward to the east. The first cairn measures 18 feet in diameter and barely 2 feet in height. It was opened many years ago when the greater portion of the northern half was removed, and a short cist containing a skeleton in a contracted position was discovered in the centre of the mound. The side slabs and one end are still in position and the covering stone lies beside the grave. The skeleton was removed to an adjoining schoolhouse, now razed to the ground, and kept for one night only, the slumbers of the occupant of the house being disturbed by weird whistlings and other uncanny noises. The cist lies nearly north-east by north and south-west by south and measures 3 feet 4 inches in length, 2 feet 2 inches in breadth, and 2 feet 2 inches in depth, while the cover, which is almost square in shape, measures 3 feet 9 inches in length, 3 feet 7 inches in breadth, and 6 inches in thickness. The top of the grave was about 1 foot 4 inches below the summit of the cairn. The second cairn lies some 15 feet south by east of the first and is of the same dimensions but better preserved. Like the first it contains a central short cist, of which the sides and ends are still in situ. It lies almost due north-east and south-west and measures 3 feet 4 inches by 1 foot 8 inches by 1 foot 10 inches; the cover stone, which lies quite near, is of irregular shape and measures 3 feet 4 inches in length, 2 feet 6 inches in breadth, and 6 inches in thickness. The sides, ends and cover stones of the two cairns are formed of fine single slabs of red grit and the body of the cairns by blocks of the same material. The western slope of the ridge between the cairns and the estuary shows numerous small heaps of stone said to be the remains of other cairns. Some 27 yards south-south-west of the second cairn is a small cottar house, immediately to the north of which are the foundations of the schoolhouse already mentioned. When the stones of which it was built were being carted away a cist is reported to have been discovered under the floor, which is no more than 12 feet above high watermark.

RCAHMS 1928, visited 6 May 1914.

OS map: Skye li (unnoted).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions