Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 166 High Street, Covenant Close, General

General View

Site Name Edinburgh, 166 High Street, Covenant Close, General

Classification General View

Alternative Name(s) Mr John Dauling's Close

Canmore ID 115602

Site Number NT27SE 1174

NGR NT 2583 7360

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/115602

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Now demolished-built next to Old Assembly Close (172 High Street)-had entry into Burnet's Close (156 High Street).

Covenant Close is shown on Edgar 1742 and Ordnance Survey 1852 as a short cul-de-sac, with a side entrance into Burnet's Close. It is said to have been rebuilt in about 1600 by John Hamilton, wright and burgess. In 1635 it was known as Mr John Dauling's Close, for the late John Dauling, advocate, whose widow was still living in the close, along with their advocate son, Thomas. The name Covenant Close derived from the circumstance that the house at the foot of the close was one of the places where a copy of the "Covenant" -either the National Covenant of 1638 or, more likely, the Solemn League and Covenant of 1643 -was made available for public signature. (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 196)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions