Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Twageos Point

Coastal Battery (Second World War)

Site Name Twageos Point

Classification Coastal Battery (Second World War)

Alternative Name(s) Lerwick South

Canmore ID 115446

Site Number HU44SE 89

NGR HU 4827 4079

NGR Description Centred on HU 4823 4079

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/115446

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Shetland Islands
  • Parish Lerwick
  • Former Region Shetland Islands Area
  • Former District Shetland
  • Former County Shetland

Archaeology Notes

HU44SE 89 HU 4827 4079

A coast battery is situated SE of Lerwick c.10m E of Twageos Road and consists of two searchlight emplacements and one engine house, the latter of which is presently used as a domestic garage. The battery had two 12 pounder guns installed in October 1942 and later reduced to Care and Maintenance in January 1945. In use, the battery had the dual role of coastal defence and anti-aircraft defence. A plan of the battery as it was in 1943 is held at the Public Records Office (P.R.O), Kew.

J Guy 1995; NMRS Ms 810/4, 159-164; PRO 192 117

HU 4826 4078 While a service access road was being constructed, the intact remains of a reinforced concrete ammunition store were identified. The structure was recorded before being filled with hard-core and sealed below the new road.

Sponsor: Shetland Amenity Trust.

B Simpson 2001

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions