Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 8 St Andrew Square

Office (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 8 St Andrew Square

Classification Office (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) London And Lancashire Insurance Company

Canmore ID 115367

Site Number NT27SE 1151

NGR NT 2557 7401

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/115367

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

London & Lancs Insurance Co

PLANS:

Dick peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh new

Attic 2, Bin 11, Bag 1 Dick Peddie & MacKay 1957

Scottish Provident, Builderwork for support of London & Lancs

PLANS:

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh

Bin 36, Bag 3 Blyth & Blyth 1966

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (24 April 2002)

A square panel, carved in relief, with a shield decorated with 2 swords (tips up) and a rose, flanked by a griffin (dexter) and a dragon (sinister), each with a foot on a rose. Above the shield is a 4th rose, this one with a stalk and 2 leaves. Behind the rose are 2 crossed swords.

Inscriptions : On banner below shield, in incised letters:

SECURITY AND SERVICE

Signatures : None

Design period : 1954

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN1372)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions