Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Edinburgh, 327 High Street, Don's Close

Alley (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 327 High Street, Don's Close

Classification Alley (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 115348

Site Number NT27SE 1145

NGR NT 2573 7362

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images


Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Don's Close is listed on Edgar 1742 and was named for William Don, vintner, who was resident at the foot of the close in 1704. His wife had been the widow of the previous occupant, John Mitchell, also a vintner, from whom (or his forbears) the close got its earlier name of Mitchell's Close. Its earliest known name was Telfer's Close, for Laurence Telfer ot Taillefer who moved here from Stevenlaw's Close in the late sixteenth century, and two members of the family, Alexander and Patrick Tailfeir, were residents in 1635. It was also Brown's or Hugh Brown's Close, perhaps from the hew Brown, mason, who was active in the town in the 1580s; and if so it was probably also the Barclay's Close mentioned in 1596, when Hugh Brown acquired a tenement in it: but although James Barclay, skinner and member of town council, as well as Mr Alexander Barclay, apothecary, were also active in the town during this period, their connection with the close remains to be ascertained. The close was also Tait's Close, for John Tait, tailor, later owner of Brown's tenement; and in 1718 it was styled Plainstane's Close, indicating that it was paved with flagstones rather than setts. Ordnance Survey 1852 shows the lower part of the close still open. (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Scotland", 1996, page 235)


1 newscutting - unable to locate at time of upgrade 15.2.2000.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions