Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 323 High Street, Warriston's Close

Alley (18th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 323 High Street, Warriston's Close

Classification Alley (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Warriston Close

Canmore ID 115347

Site Number NT27SE 1144

NGR NT 2574 7363

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/115347

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Depicted on the coloured 1st edition of the O.S. 1:1056 scale map (Edinburgh and its Environs, 1854, sheet 35).

Warriston's Close is shown on Edgar 1742 and was named for Sir Archibald Johnstoun of Warriston, Currie, the leading spirit in the framing of the National Covenant in 1638, who had his town house on the west side of the close. earlier, the house (known as Craig's Land in 1582) had belonged to his uncle, Sir Thomas Craig of Riccarton -hence the name Craig's Close; but earlier still, in about 1566, it had been built or extended by Robert Bruce of Binnie, adn the close had been known as Bruce's Close. A lintel of the house remains, inscribed "Gratia Dei Robertus Bruiss", and John Knox's manse was immediately opposite. Warriston Brae, shown on Ordnance Survey 1852 as a transe or passage at right angles to the closes, is now reduced to a short section with steps down into Cockburn Street at the foot of the Advocate's Close. (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 621)

REFERENCE: PLANS:

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh Sections showing levels

Wylie & Peddie

1 Thistle Street 1858

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions