Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 253 High Street, Old Post Office Close

Public House (20th Century), Tenement (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 253 High Street, Old Post Office Close

Classification Public House (20th Century), Tenement (19th Century)

Canmore ID 115340

Site Number NT27SE 1139

NGR NT 2581 7364

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/115340

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Stood on the site of the East section of the City Chambers.

Old Post Office Close is listed as "Old Posthouse Close" on Edgar 1742, and was named for the post office which was here in the 1720s before it was transferred to Parliament Close. Earlier, it was (Edward) Little's Close, so named before 1563 for Edward Little of Badinsgill, who was a bailie in 1516; but it was also known as Jacob or James Barron's Close for another owner of property in it, probably Little's Fellow councillor Jacob or James Barron, who was treasurer in 1514, or else the James Barron (presumably a successor) who was Dean of Guild in 1556. The Close was suppressed in the eastward extension of the City Chambers in 1930. (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 474)

REFERENCE: NMRS LIBRARY

Scottish Magazine Jan 1931 -"The Old Post Office Close"

REFERENCE: NMRS HISTORICAL FILE

8 pages of text relating background to location of the Post Office in Edinburgh including details of books/articles , and plans held -filed under "GENERAL POST OFFICE"

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions