Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 215 High Street

Shop (19th Century), Tenement (18th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 215 High Street

Classification Shop (19th Century), Tenement (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Lyon's Close; Old Stamp House Close

Canmore ID 115336

Site Number NT27SE 1135

NGR NT 25851 73676

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/115336

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Lyon's Close is shown on Edgar 1742 and was also known as Stalker's Close before 1756; but the derivations of both names are abscure. In 1581, at the King's request, his master cook John Lyoun was admitted burgess and gild brother; and in 1695 a mariner, Patrick Lyon, was likewise admitted, this having been made one of the conditions of a gift of five thousand pounds to Heriot's Hospital by Robert Sandilands. (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 412)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions