Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 167 High Street, Cap And Feather Close

Alley (17th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 167 High Street, Cap And Feather Close

Classification Alley (17th Century)

Canmore ID 115328

Site Number NT27SE 1129

NGR NT 2594 7366

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/115328

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Stood on the site of the East pavement of North Bridge.

Cap and Feather Close is shown on Edgar 1742 but was swept away fro the building of the North Bridge in 1765. The name came from the Cap and Feather Tavern at the head of the close, mentioned in Kincaid 1787 in the account of the bridge works. The older names Lockhart's Close or Cameron's Close are recorded in 1731, but their origins are unknown. (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 152)

REFERENCE: NMRS HISTORICAL FILE

4 pages of text describing "Milne's Square", and "Miln's Square" and surrounding areas -filed under "MILNE'S SQUARE"

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions