Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 149 High Street, Kinloch's Close

House (16th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 149 High Street, Kinloch's Close

Classification House (16th Century)

Canmore ID 115324

Site Number NT27SE 1125

NGR NT 2596 7367

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/115324

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Replaced by Bank.

Kinloch's Close was sited on what became the east side of Niddrie (Niddry) Street. It is still shown on Ainslie 1804 but noted as shut up on Kirkwood 1817. Sir Francis Kinloch of Gilmerton, merchant councillor in 1655 and Lord Provost 1677-79, lived in the close; but the name certainly dates from before his time, being recorded in 1635, and to judge by the names (David and Francis) of early Kinloch owners mentioned in the various feu charters, the close name may go even further back than the James Kinloch, merchant, and Andro Kinloch, listed in 1635 as adjoining owner occupiers in the close. There was a Francis Kinloch, burgess in 1605-10 but it is perhaps more significant that David Kinloch (see below for more detail) and his son Francis are mentioned in records of the 1570s, even although direct evidence of connection with this particular close is lacking. the close is noted in 1725 as also called Blacklock's Close, and the Walter Blacklock mentioned in title deeds of 1529 is probably the Walter Blaklock recorded as a "gude nychtbour" or burgess of the town in 1486 and 1501. (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 373)

Kinloch's Close (151 High Street) is shown on Edgar 1742 and was recorded as "Killoch's Close" in 1660. It was named for David Kinloch, baxter, who, with his son Francis and grandson David after him owned a tenement in the close. He appears as a spokesman for the deacons of crafts in 1539 and as assessor for the council in 1553, and both he and his son are witnesses to a charter in RMS (Register of the Great Seal of Scotland, Vols I-XI) 1573. A David Kinloch, skinner, is listed in 1635 as an owner in the High Street at or near the close mouth. The close was also Cathkin's or Catchkan's Close, for a William Cathkine, owner of lands which were bought after his death by David Kinloch. He may have been of the same family as the brothers Edward and James Cathkin, booksellers and burgesses in the 1590s. (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 373)

REFERENCE: NMRS HISTORICAL FILE

24 pages of text regarding the building of North Bridge and its effect on the surrounding areas -filed under "NORTH BRIDGE (NEW) AND STREET"

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions