Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 209 High Street

Shop (Period Unassigned), Tenement (18th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 209 High Street

Classification Shop (Period Unassigned), Tenement (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Lyon's Close; 1 - 6 Jackson's Close

Canmore ID 115223

Site Number NT27SE 1111

NGR NT 25864 73663

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/115223

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Jackson's Close is listed on Edgar 1742. A sasine of 1755 mentions property once acquired from a George Dougal by John Jackson, and subsequently owned by his son and grandson, both called John. The absence of any Jackson name from the Valuation Roll 1635 suggests that this sequence of ownerships must have been before or after that date: it remains a matter for conjecture, but there is record of Dowgall burgesses (but no George) from 1539-84, and of three John Jacksons, burgesses: one in 1578; the other two, father and son, active in the 1590s and up to 1615. (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 355)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions