Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 135 High Street

Tenement (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 135 High Street

Classification Tenement (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) 4 Carrubber's Close; 133 High Street

Canmore ID 115166

Site Number NT27SE 1103

NGR NT 25972 73707

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/115166

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Carrubbers Close is recorded in "Protocols of John Foular" before 1513. The personal name, recorded in 1296 as "de Caribre", is from "Carriber", near Linlithgow; and the name of the close is probably from William de Carriberis, a burgess in 1450 (when he also bought Clermiston estate) and a bailie in 1454, and almost certainly the shipowner and merchant who was prominent in relations with the English in the mid fifteenth century. While he is mentioned in RMS (Register of the Great Seal of Scotland, Vols I-XI) 1473 as deceased owner of property in Blackfriars Wynd, south of the High Street, there is no direct evidence that he owned any in the close on the north side of the street; but the fact, recorded in RMS 1491, that his widow Agnes Faulaw, after her second marriage to Robert Lauder of the Bass, granted the annual income from a 10-mark property "on the north side of the High Street" and a 5-mark one in South Leith as a gift to the kirk of the Blessed Apostle Andrew in North Berwick in memory of her first husband, strongly suggests that she had inherited them from Carriber. (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 156)

REFERENCE: NMRS HISTORICAL FILE

24 pages of text giving details of building of North Bridge and how it affected the surrounding areas -filed under "NORTH BRIDGE (NEW) AND STREET"

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (13 August 2002)

High relief carving of Archbishop's hat, and inscription, in stepped rounded pediment above fire exit door.

Inspected By : D. King

Inscriptions (raised letters above door in architectural frame): HOUSE / OF / ARCHBISHOP / SPOTTISWOOD / 1578 / REBUILT 1864

Signatures : None

Year of unveiling : c1864

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0763)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions