Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Raasay House, Raasay

Cross Base (Early Medieval), Sanctuary Marker (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Raasay House, Raasay

Classification Cross Base (Early Medieval), Sanctuary Marker (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 11469

Site Number NG53NW 12

NGR NG 5454 3632

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/11469

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Portree
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NG53NW 12 5454 3632.

On a small knoll about a quarter of a mile SW of Raasay House at the N. end of the wall which encloses a private battery, there is a square piece of masonry, said to be the base of a cross which formed the boundary of the land attached to St. Maol-luag's chapel at Raasay House (q.v. NG53NW 4)

Name Book 1877.

NG 5454 3632. The remains of this sanctuary cross comprise a base of squared stone bonded with lime mortar measuring 2.3m by 2.0m and 1.0m in height, with a fragment of a second tier originally about 1.3m square, and 0.5m high.

Visited by OS (A S P) 12 June 1961.

No change.

Visited by OS (R L) 22 September 1971.

Site recorded during an archaeological assessment undertaken in September 1997 in advance of a proposed new ferry terminal.

NG 5454 3636 Cross base, sanctuary marker.

A report will be lodged with the NMRS.

Sponsor: Highland Council.

K Cameron 1997

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions