Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Skye, Strathaird, Na Clachan Bhreige

Stone Circle (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age)

Site Name Skye, Strathaird, Na Clachan Bhreige

Classification Stone Circle (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age)

Canmore ID 11437

Site Number NG51NW 1

NGR NG 5432 1768

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/11437

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Strath
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NG51NW 1 5432 1768.

(NG 5432 1768) Stones (NAT)

OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)

Na Clachan Bhreige: the remains of a stone circle as described by RCAHMS except that the fourth (recumbent) stone could not be found.

Visited by OS (A C) 19 April 1961.

A polished black stone about 11/2" long, rounded in shape and somewhat resembling a pestle, was dug up from within the circle c.1860. It is now in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS).

The circle is here referred to as 'Clachan Breugach' but the same meaning 'false stones' is given.

Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1865.

Site recorded in the spring of 1997 during a field survey carried out by Martin Wildgoose and associates on part of the John Muir Trust's Strathaird Estate. The surveyed portion lies to the S and E of Bla Bheinn, some 3000ha of undulating lowland terrain lying between the coast and the Cuillin mountains.

NG 5432 1768 Stone circle (NG51NW 1).

A full report is lodged with the John Muir Trust. A fuller summary is lodged with the NMRS.

Sponsor: John Muir Trust.

K Miller 1998

Activities

Field Visit (14 May 1914)

Stone Circle (Na Clachan Bhreige), Strathaird, Kilmarie.

On a peninsula on the west side of a small loch in Strathaird, a broad, heathery muir embosomed in hills to the north, west and east, about 3/8 mile west of Kilmarie, and at an elevation of less than 100 feet above sea-level, is a stone circle of four fine stones, three standing and one prostrate, known as Na Clachan Bhreige (‘the false stones’). The circle has been of small dimensions; judging from the arc formed by the three stones still standing it has been about 18 feet in diameter. The most westerly stone, 5 feet in height and 4 feet 4 inches in girth at the base, expands slightly in width towards the top, and decreases from a thickness of some 10 inches at the base to 3 inches higher up. The stone to the north inclines to the north-west: quadrangular in section it measures 6 feet 6 inches in height and 6 feet 7 inches in girth; the easterly stone is 6 feet high, 1 foot 8 inches in width, and 11 inches in thickness. The prostrate stone is a fine pillar 11 feet 6 inches in length, and from 1 foot 6 inches to 1 foot 9 inches in breadth. The first stone is of red grit and the others are of white quartzose sandstone. (Fig. 239.)

RCAHMS 1928, visited 14 May 1914.

OS map: Skye xlv (unnoted).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions