Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 28-30 Hanover Street, Edinburgh Savings Bank

Bank (Financial) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 28-30 Hanover Street, Edinburgh Savings Bank

Classification Bank (Financial) (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Tsb Lloyds; Rose Street

Canmore ID 113730

Site Number NT27SE 946

NGR NT 25325 73955

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/113730

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Publication Account (1997)

One of the most sumptuous building projects of the postwar period. A self-rebuilding scheme by one of the country's oldest and most prestigious private clubs. Following the removal of the existing 19th century building (by Burn), a reinforced-concrete structure of five storeys and basement was erected, with shops at the front, a grand stair-hall at the centre and a four-storey bedroom tower at the rear. The irregularly-windowed front facade, in Rubislaw granite, incorporates a first-floor terrace to conform to the 1967 Princes Street Panel Report formular of bi-level shopping. Internally, a quietly luxurious atmosphere was created through use of hessian wall finishes and re-used elements of the old building, including both furniture and an entire dining room reconstructed out of Lorimer panelling. (Fig. 4.22).

Information from 'Rebuilding Scotland: The Postwar Vision, 1945-75', (1997).

Field Visit (25 June 2002)

Above 1st floor windows on Hanover Street are roundels containing (from S. to N.) the arms of Leith (Virgin and Child in boat, cloud above), Edinburgh (3-towered castle) and Musselburgh (3 mussels and 3 anchors).

Above 1st floor windows of end bays in Rose Street are roundels (x2, identical) containing 3 stylised flowers with stalks and leaves.

In roundels above 2 entrances flanking main one (Hanover St) are arms of TSB - a 2-towered castle with closed portcullis, flanked by bound oak leaves.

There are also 4 lions' heads on frieze of building above 4 ionic columns (Hanover St facade) and two bronze lion's head door handles on the main entrance's wooden doors.

According to 'The Builder' of 10 July 1940, 'The desire of the trustees was to erect a building worthy of the city and one which would be in keeping with the best traditions of Edinburgh architecture.'

The exterior is built of Darney stone, on a plinth of light grey Creetown granite.

The arms of Edinburgh, Leith and Musselburgh refer to the burghs where the bank operated.

The mason work on the substructure was by G. and R. Cousin, of Edinburgh, and on the superstructure by Jackson, Brown, of Giffnock.

Inspected By : T.S.

Inscriptions : On roundels (x2) enclosing TSB arms

- above castle : - TRUSTEE STB [the letter T is in the centre and is larger than the S and B]

- below castle : - SAVINGS.BANK

Signatures : None

Design period : 1939-1940

Year of unveiling : 1940

Unveiling details : Premises occupied on Monday 26 August 1940

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0740)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions