Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 22 Hanover Street, Merchant Company Hall

Bank (Financial) (Period Unassigned), Hall (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 22 Hanover Street, Merchant Company Hall

Classification Bank (Financial) (Period Unassigned), Hall (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Rose Street; City Of Glasgow Bank; Clydesdale Bank; Formerly 10, 12, 14

Canmore ID 113729

Site Number NT27SE 945

NGR NT 25341 73939

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/113729

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

REFERENCE

Public Library

'The Merchant Co. of Edinburgh' by Heron 1903 - history

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (25 June 2002)

Coat of arms: a central shield on which is a sailing ship on the sea and, above the ship from dexter (S.) a thistle and crown over a saltire, a set of scales and two ell wands crossed below them, a three-towered castle. The shield is flanked by sea horses and is surmounted by a helmet in profile with closed visor. Above that is a globe. In the bottom left (S.) corner of the pediment is a boat; in the bottom right corner are two sacks tied up and a sheaf of wheat.

Inspected By : T.S.

Inscriptions : On banner below coat of arms, in incised painted letters. TERRIQUE MARIQUE Below pediment, in incised letters, painted gold: THE MERCHANTS HALL

Signatures : None

Design period : 1865 - 1866 (Bank) / 1879 (Merchant Offices)

Year of unveiling : 1879

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0739)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions