Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 29, 31, 33 Hanover Street

Cellar (18th Century), Office (19th Century), Shop(S) (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 29, 31, 33 Hanover Street

Classification Cellar (18th Century), Office (19th Century), Shop(S) (19th Century)

Canmore ID 113721

Site Number NT27SE 937

NGR NT 25379 73952

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/113721

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Watching Brief (19 February 2019)

AOC Archaeology Group was commissioned by Clancy Docwra Ltd to record features uncovered during groundbreaking works associated with utility works on Hanover Street, Edinburgh. The features lay in front of 29-33 (Odd Nos) Hanover Street, a Category B listed building dating to 1881. The uncovered features appear to be the remains of earlier 18th century cellarage associated with earlier construction on this site.

Information from Victoria Huggett (AOC archaeology Group) 20 February 2019.

OASIS ID: aocarcha1-343374

Field Visit

Winged cherub heads (x2), both different, in capitals of ground floor of Hanover Street façade, at the north end and the centre of the building.

Inscriptions : On west end bay of Rose Street, 3rd floor level, in raised numbers:

1881

Signatures : None

Design period : 1881

Year of unveiling : 1881

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0738)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions