Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 1 Cockburn Street

Hotel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 1 Cockburn Street

Classification Hotel (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Market Street; The Cockburn Hotel

Canmore ID 113567

Site Number NT27SE 886

NGR NT 25726 73727

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/113567

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 886 25726 73727

REFERENCE: PLANS

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh alterations to Cockburn Hotel

Bin 14, Bag 2 Dick Peddie, MacKay & Jamieson 1945

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (22 August 2002)

Relief portrait head, facing right, of balding man in square architectural frame surrounded by architectural door frame.

The hotel was originally called Philp's Cockburn Hotel, the proprietor being Andrew Philp. By 1889 the proprietor was John Macpherson.

Inspected By : D. King

Inscriptions : On door frame (gilded painted letters): MACPHERSON

Signatures : Beneath neck (incised letters):

J. THRID. Sc. (?)

Design period : c.1859-1864

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0568)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions