Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 142 High Street, New Assembly Close, Lord Reid Building

Bank (Financial) (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 142 High Street, New Assembly Close, Lord Reid Building

Classification Bank (Financial) (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Bell's Wynd; Stevenlaw's Close; Assembly Hall; Chapel Of St David; Free Tron Church; Commercial Bank Of Scotland

Canmore ID 113550

Site Number NT27SE 875

NGR NT 25878 73582

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

New Assembly Close is listed on Edgar 1742 and was named for the Edinburgh Assembly which moved here from Old Assembly Close in 1736, and continued (on a new footing after 1746) until 1784. The close was also known, from its position, as Back of Bell's Wynd; and it is given as Commercial Bank Close on Kirkwood 1817, from the Commercial Bank which built its head office in 1814, on the former site of the Assembly Room, and occupied it until 1847. Earlier, the close was Murray's Close, for John Murray of Blackbarony, who in 1580 had the house at the head of the close fromerly owned by the Bishop of Dunkeld; and it was also Snadoun's or Snawdoun's Close as early as 1525, probably named for a Snadoun Herald, since Thomas Tod, Snadoun herald, had a land in adjoining Bell's Wynd in 1579. (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 456)


Edinburgh. The Old Assembly Hall, Stevenlaw's Close.

Writs of building.

1620-1813 N R A(S) Section 5 Shelf 6

ARCHITECT: J Gillespie Graham 1813


Sources: Dean of Guild Bundle 1815 July-December 8.7.1813

Pet. Commercial Banking Co

New Assembly Close, High Street

Plan of two floors and Elevation

Elevation has note "This is the elevation of the proposed Commercial Bank in the

Kings Arms Close, Jas. Gillespie."

Sources: Dean of Guild 9.10.1813

Pet. Alexander McCartney - manager, Commercial Banking Company

Kings Arms Close, Foot of

Ground plan enclosed with partial elevations of buildings around central court -


Mention of a petition earlier


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions