Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 56, 58 And 60 High Street, Todrick's Wynd

Shop (Period Unassigned), Tenement (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 56, 58 And 60 High Street, Todrick's Wynd

Classification Shop (Period Unassigned), Tenement (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 1 - 3 Blackfriars Street

Canmore ID 113541

Site Number NT27SE 869

NGR NT 26031 73660

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/113541

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Also called Todrick's Close or Todriggs Wynd.

This wynd was one of the bounds of the Town Guard, 1685. So called because the house at the head of the wynd belonged to Archibald Todrig in the fifteenth century. Todrick's Land also known as Merchant's Land. Position is immediately East of Blackfriar's Wynd with which it communicated. Carvings: "The Feir of the Lord is the Begening of Visdome".

REFERENCE: NATIONAL LIBRARY OF SCOTLAND

Water Colour Sketches by Thomas Brown, Advocate-Vol III no 12 -view of the Close.

REFERENCE:

Sources: Dean of Guild Bundle 1808 January-May 10.3.1808

Pet. Mrs Mobray, relict of late John Mobray, wright

Sasine enclosed in favour of John Mobray 24.6.1749

Toddericks Wynd with yard and back close of the same

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions