Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Skye, Kilmartin

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Skye, Kilmartin

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) St Martin's Chapel And Graveyard

Canmore ID 11354

Site Number NG46NE 6

NGR NG 4872 6682

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/11354

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kilmuir
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NG46NE 6 4872 6682

(NG 4872 6682) Kilmartin (Burial Ground) (NAT)

OS 6" map, Isle of Skye, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)

Kilmartin: Name applies to an old graveyard. There are a number of ruins where the old church or chapel is supposed to have stood, but nothing is known about it in the neighbourhood.

Name Book 1878.

There was a chapel to St. Martin at Kilmartin (RCAHMS 1928) and where Kilmartin is named a church is possibly shown (M Martin 1934).

Information from OS (C F W), 10 November 1960.

A long-disused and turf-covered raised stone path leads from near the present gateway into the burial ground, directly towards a green mound near the centre, ending at its foot. The mound is occupied by a family burial enclosure of dry stone walling, 6.0m square, which doubtless occupies the site of the chapel, of which no trace could be found.

Visited by OS (A S P), 25 April 1961.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions