Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, George Iv Bridge, Central Public Library, Fine Art Department

Library (19th Century), Museum (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, George Iv Bridge, Central Public Library, Fine Art Department

Classification Library (19th Century), Museum (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Highland And Agriculture Institute; Highland Society; Victoria Street

Canmore ID 113446

Site Number NT27SE 830

NGR NT 25629 73472

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/113446

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 830 25629 73472

NT27SE 359 25624 73449 Central Public Library

ARCHITECT: John Henderson, 1860.

A Handyside Ritchie - sculptor

OWNER: Edinburgh Corporation - Public Library Committee.

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (21 January 2002)

Caledonia, a robed and helmeted female figure, sits between two standing youths with her arms extended to touch their heads which are crowned with laurels. The kilted youth on her right holds a sheaf of corn to his chest with his left arm, and carries a curved scythe by his side with his right hand. Another sheaf leans against his leg behind,. The youth on Caledonia's left wears a short tight jerkin and close-fitting trousers. He holds a staff in his right hand and a long-handled plough (? looks shaped at end) in his left. The relief on the seat beneath Caledonia depicts a standing shepherd with crook, with a kneeling sheep at his feet; a gate (?) behind it, and a standing horse forming the rounded corner of the seat to the shepherd's right. A seated dog and standing cow have corresponding positions on his left.

The two youths are described by Woodward as a highland reaper and a ploughboy. (1)

In 1840/41 No.3 George IV Bridge was the Highland and Agricultural Society's museum.

(No.1 was Peter Lawson & Son, Nursery and Seedsmen to the Highland and Agricultural Society of Scotland).

Inspected By : D. King

Inscriptions : Incised gothic letters on middle step of stepped base:

Semper armis nunc et industria

Signatures : None Visible

Design period : 1836-1837

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0704)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions