Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Castlehill, High Street, Skinner's Close

Tenement (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Castlehill, High Street, Skinner's Close

Classification Tenement (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 113195

Site Number NT27SE 737

NGR NT 2543 7352

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/113195

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Now replaced by 549 Castlehill-Camera Obscura. Sign above small doorway halfway along Castlehill elevation indicates site of this old Close.

Skinners Close is shown on Ainslie 1780 and named in the "Stent Roll" 1635, which lists not only Patrik Grahme, skinner, and his partner Thos Somervell amongst the resident owners, but also the "Skinners Brethrein" or Incorporation of Skinners as owners of a "laich house" or basement, endowed as a school, and also a "convening house" in an upper flat. (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 567)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions