Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 192 High Street, Police Chambers

Police Station (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 192 High Street, Police Chambers

Classification Police Station (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 1 Parliament Square

Canmore ID 113059

Site Number NT27SE 725

NGR NT 25801 73586

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/113059

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 725 25801 73586

ARCHITECT: William Nixon, 1845.

Activities

Standing Building Recording (21 September 2018)

AOC Archaeology Group was commissioned by Axiom on behalf of their client to undertake an historic building survey of the former police chambers building at No 1a Parliament Square, Edinburgh. The works were undertaken in advance of development as a condition of the planning consent on the renovation of the former early 19th century building. No 1 Parliament Square was constructed to a design by the architect William Nixon between 1845 - 1849 as a Police Chambers, including a police court and court cells. Prior to this, there were earlier tenement buildings on the site in the later medieval period. By at least the mid-late 18th century, however, the Royal Bank stood on the site together with another building facing the High Street. These were removed in the 1840s to make way for the Police Chambers building and the formalisation of Parliament Square. This development forms the southern portion of the complex (the northern portion already developed in 2002) and is a six-storey building with a similar floor plan throughout, with the exception of the basement level and the second floor (mezzanine) level, which mostly contained a number of prisoner holding cells. The building has undergone a certain amount of modern refurbishment over the years, with two new modern open well stairs to the north-east and south-west corner respectively. The public court to the first floor also remained in situ with tall sash windows, timber panelling, fixtures and fittings and a moulded cornice and ceiling. A structural watching brief is still required on the building specifically related to the removal and reinstatement of the public court fixtures and fittings. The results of the structural watching brief will then be incorporated into this report to create a final historic building recording report in the structure. An archaeological watching brief on all ground-breaking works during the development is also required as part of the planning consent.

Information from Diana Sproat (AOC Archaeology Group) September 2018. OASIS ID: aocarcha1-329797

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions