Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 26 George Street, Commercial Union Insurance

Office (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 26 George Street, Commercial Union Insurance

Classification Office (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 55, 53 Hanover Street; New And Old Edinburgh Life Assurance Offices

Canmore ID 113030

Site Number NT27SE 713

NGR NT 25365 74014

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/113030

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 713 25365 74014

NMRS has architects plans by Dunn & Watson, London 1985-1898 for 26 George Street, Edinburgh Life Assurance Company, but these were never executed.

Kinnear & Peddie, 1881-1883

Peddie & Washington Browne 1907

Dick Peddie & Walker Todd 1928

Dick Peddie & McKay 1963

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (13 March 2002)

Coat of arms of the Edinburgh Life Assurance Society: a central cartouche decorated with a chevron (centre), an anchor (dexter top), Aesculapian rod (sinister top) and a pair of scales (below chevron). Above the cartouche is a castle. The supporters are a female figure (dexter) and a deer (sinister). To either side are thistles.

In 1909, when the Royal Institution building on the Mound was to be devoted to the use of the Royal Scottish Academy, new premises were required for the Royal Society of Edinburgh.The building 'which the Edinburgh Life Assurance Company have vacated' was secured, and converted by W. T. Oldrieve of H. M. Board of works. (The Builder 2 January 1909, p.20)

Inspected By : T.S.

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None Visible

Design period : 1843 (original building) / 1909(conversion)

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0654)

Field Visit (13 March 2002)

A shield decorated with a flaming torch and, above, three anchors. Supported by two winged lions rampant.

Inspected By : T.S.

Inscriptions : At the bottom of the coat of arms (in raised letters):

ANCHORA SALUTIS

Signatures : None

Design period : 1908-1909

Notes : Of what company is the coat of arms??

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0655)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions