Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aberdeen, Ferryhill Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Aberdeen, Ferryhill Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 'Ferryhill Ticket Platform'

Canmore ID 112960

Site Number NJ90NW 334

NGR NJ 942 043

NGR Description NJ c. 942 043

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/112960

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeen, City Of
  • Parish Aberdeen
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District City Of Aberdeen
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ90NW 334 c. 942 043

The station was opened on 1 April 1850 as the terminus of the Aberdeen Rly. (which was later absorbed into the Caledonian Rly.), entering Aberdeen from the south. It closed on 2 August 1854, being replaced (successively) by Guild Street Station (NJ90NW 209) and Aberdeen (Joint) Station (NJ90NW 136).

R V J Butt 1995.

Despite its relatively remote location, Aberdeen was connected to the railway network in 1850. The Aberdeen Railway was granted its Act of Parliament in 1845 to connect with the Scottish Midland Junction Rly's line from Perth at Friockheim, and also to build branch lines to Montrose and Brechin; this would become the final component of the Anglo-Scottish West Coast route. At the same time, the Great North of Scotland (GNoSR) had received its authority in 1846, and was attempting to raise the capital to build a line from Aberdeen to Inverness.

The initial intention was for the two companies to share a terminus at Guild Street (NJ90NW 209), near the centre of Aberdeen and the harbour, but financial problems stalled both the GNoSR and the proposals to amalgamate the two companies. Lack of capital also slowed construction of the line to Aberdeen from the South. By October 1849, however, trains were running to Limpet Mill (N of Stonehaven), and by December of that year services were extended to Portlethen. Following the construction of a graceful viaduct (NJ90SW 30) of stone and timber across the River Dee, the company opened a temporary station (NJ90NW 334) at Ferryhill on 1 April 1850. Although its situation was less than ideal, it allowed services to develop, being used by the Deeside Rly from September 1853. Little is known about this station, but it appears to have comprised a single main platform with a wooden train shed, which was later adapted as a goods depot. More importantly, Ferryhill was also the location of Aberdeen's first engine shed, situated within the 'V' of the junction between the Aberdeen and Deeside Rlys.

The Aberdeen Rly's powers allowed construction of the station at Guild St (NJ90NW 209), but due to the heavy construction work required it was 1854 before this terminus was opened to traffic, together with an adjacent goods yard. The Aberdeen Rly amalgamated with the Scottish Midland Junction Rly two years later to become the Scottish North Eastern Rly (SNER), extending from Aberdeen to Perth. The SNER became part of the Caledonian Rly in 1866.

The GNoSR opened its Aberdeen to Huntly line in 1854, the Aberdeen terminus being at Kittybrewster, about a mile from the city centre and isolated from the Aberdeen Rly at Guild St. From Kittybrewster a branch line was opened along the bed of the former Aberdeenshire Canal (NJ90NW 285.00) to Waterloo Quay (NJ90NW 291.10), in 1855/6. By 1858, the GNoSR had connected at Keith with what was to become the Highland Rly, creating a through route from Inverness to the South. The opening of the direct Perth-Inverness line in 1863 put pressure on the GNoSR, and parliament approved a direct line to Guild St along the Denburn valley. This was opened on 4 November 1867, and descended at 1 in 72 from Kittybrewster through two short tunnels (NJ90NW 2628 and NJ90NW 2629 ) to a junction at Clayhills (NJ c. 942 054) to the N of which the new Joint Station (NJ90NW 136.00) was built, almost adjacent to the original terminus.

A Mackenzie 2007.

Thios station became famous during the 'Railway Race to the North' of 1895 as 'Ferryhill Ticket Platform', effectively the finishing line.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 23 April 2007.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions