Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kelso, Springwood House

Country House (18th Century)

Site Name Kelso, Springwood House

Classification Country House (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Springwood Park Estate; Springwood Caravan Park

Canmore ID 112547

Site Number NT73SW 78

NGR NT 71661 33474

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/112547

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Kelso
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Springwood Park House, the centre of the estate, was built in the mid-eighteenth century with considerable alterations made in the 1820s by the architect James Gillespie Graham. These greatly enlarged the house, with extra rooms added to the front of the house as well as a conservatory.

Photographs from the late nineteenth century show an impressive three-storeyed house, built in what appears to be a mixture of coursed rubble and dressed stone. The main entrance had a tall arched porch, built to resemble a 'porte-cochere' a feature which allowed visitors to remain dry in inclement weather when dismounting their carriages.

An interesting feature of Springwood Park House was that the windows on the top floor were about half the size of those on lower floors, also seen at Ednam House in Kelso. At the time when these houses were built, the main rooms of the house where visitors were received were usually found on the ground or first floors and these required the most light. The rooms on the uppermost floor for servants were probably bedrooms.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Architecture Notes

NT73SW 78.00 71661 33474

NT73SW 78.01 71422 33567 Mausoleum

NT73SW 78.02 71626 32986 Home Farm

NT73SW 78.03 71456 33452 Walled Garden

NT73SW 78.04 71999 33496 Teviot Lodge

NT73SW 78.05 72653 33445 Kelso Lodge

NT73SW 78.06 71519 32882 Springwood Cottage

NT73SW 78.07 72649 33462 Gateway and Gates

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect:

James Gillespie Graham, c.1820

Brown and Wardrop - alterations, and garden and estate buildings, 1850-65

Wm Waddele - Icehouse, 1826

Wm Grey - Keepers lodge, 1855

Wm Dickison, Kelso - Estate cottages, 1870

Demolished

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

NLS

MS 15933 Survey report on planting.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions