Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Munlochy Mill

Grain Mill (Period Unassigned), Saw Mill (Period Unassigned), Watermill (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Munlochy Mill

Classification Grain Mill (Period Unassigned), Saw Mill (Period Unassigned), Watermill (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 112254

Site Number NH65SW 62

NGR NH 64724 53205

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2023.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Knockbain
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Architecture Notes

NH65SW 62 64724 53205

Munlochy Mill

Graham Douglas notes that the mill machinery was installed in the early 1940s by James Reid of Dingwall. It has been out of use as a meal mill since the 1960s. The grain bruiser was in use at the time of survey and was powered by an electric motor. Munlochy Mill is depicted and named on the Ordnance Survey 6-inch map (Ross-shire, 1873, sheet lxxxix).

Information from Graham J Douglas, Scottish Industrial Archaeology Survey, Strathclyde University, 1986.

See NMRS MS/744/141 and DC 33181-5 for building and machinery details.

The mill is dpeicted on the 1st edition of the 25-inch OS map (Inverness-shire, 1880, sheet c) and annotated 'corn mill' By the date of the 2nd edition (1906) the annotation is 'corn mill' with a 'saw mill adjacent. The maps also depict a mill dam and mill lead.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), August 2008

Site Management (12 November 1994)

L-plan former mill, mosty random rubble construction with slated roofs. Lade and waterwheel to East elevation. Marriage lintol over entrance has 1740 date - presumably re-used.

Appears on the 1st edition OS (six inch series) notated as a corn mill.


Watching Brief (22 October 2008 - 20 March 2009)

NH 6473 5323 A watching brief was carried out 22 October 2008–20 March 2009 during construction of a new car park. The car park was built in the former Munloch Mill pond, shown on the 1st Edition OS map. However, no features or finds were recorded, as the excavations took place entirely within backfill.

Archive: RCAHMS. Report: HHER and Library Service

Funder: Highland Council

Brendan Malone and John Wood – Highland Archaeology Services Ltd


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions