Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 300 Lawnmarket, Buchanan's Court, General

General View

Site Name Edinburgh, 300 Lawnmarket, Buchanan's Court, General

Classification General View

Alternative Name(s) Buchanan's Close; Brodie's Close

Canmore ID 112243

Site Number NT27SE 660

NGR NT 25593 73553

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/112243

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Demolished. Site of Lothian Regional Council headquarters.

Buchanan's or Buchan's Court (or Close) is listed on Ainslie 1781 and 1804 as Buchanan's Close and as Buchan's Close on Kincaid 1784, and the form Court appears in "P.O. Directory" 1826. The name was no doubt connected with Buchanan's Land, burned down in 1771, itself a replacement of the timber-built tenement of the abbot of Cambuskenneth burned down in 1725. Edgar 1742 lists the close as Walter Willies's Close, and Kirkwood 1817 notes it as "formerly Walter Willis's" but any link with a Wills or Willis remains to be traced. A third name was Hunter's Close, likewise obscure, although it may be noted that Williamson's Directory 1780 lists a James Hunter, physician, as resident in nearby Old Bank Close.

(from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 129)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions