Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 15 North Bank Street, Free Church Of Scotland College And Offices

Office(S) (Period Unassigned), Theological College (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 15 North Bank Street, Free Church Of Scotland College And Offices

Classification Office(S) (Period Unassigned), Theological College (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) The Mound

Canmore ID 112222

Site Number NT27SE 655

NGR NT 25515 73616

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/112222

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SW 655 25515 73616

NT27SW 5473 25506 73606 16 North Bank Street (Free Church of Scotland College and Offices)

ARCHITECT: David Cousin c1858

James Matthews (?) -design for new building 1858

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (21 August 2002)

Overdoor strapwork with central cartouche relief of a burning bush (within a rope circle) above central entrance. Thistle decoration in square panels each side. Date stone below. Small obelisks either side.

Window pediments contain heraldic emblems including a lion rampant shield.

Inspected By : D. King

Inscriptions : Above door (raised letters): FREE . CHURCH OF . SCOTLAND

On ribbon flanking bush, each end of the ribbon held in the beak of an eagle's head (raised letters): NEC TAMEN CONSUMEBATUR

In spandrels above door, among ivy leaves: FC (left) and 1843 (right)

Among strapwork, freestanding stone: F and C

On central stone above door (raised entwined numbers): 1860

On keystone (raised letters): OFFICES

Signatures : [Architects entwined initials in cartouche above recessed ground floor window on right by Milne's Court steps.]

Design period : 1858-1863

Year of unveiling : c.1860

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0905)

Field Visit (21 August 2002)

High relief of burning bush within moulded square architectural frame, above lintel ledge of disused doorway.

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Design period : 1858-1863

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0908)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions