Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Skye, Kilmuir, Skye Cottage Museum

Croft (19th Century), Museum (20th Century)

Site Name Skye, Kilmuir, Skye Cottage Museum

Classification Croft (19th Century), Museum (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Osmigarry Croft Museum

Canmore ID 11205

Site Number NG37SE 10

NGR NG 39497 71771

NGR Description Centred NG 39497 71771

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/11205

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kilmuir
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Skye Museum of Island Life, Osmigarry Among various later 20th century re-creations, a group of three original thatched buildings is preserved at the southern end of the complex, with commendable authenticity. Originating c.1790, but of traditional 19th century Skye vernacular appearance, this group comprises: the old croft house (unusually large, still occupied in the 1950s; first opened to the public, 1965), cottar's house and byre.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NG37SE 10.00 centred 39497 71771

NG37SE 10.01 NG 394 718 rotary quern

Activities

Field Visit (12 June 2015)

NG 39514 71779 Listed as a group of four 19th century buildings ‘comprising dwelling, smithy, tailor’s workshop and weaving house’, however, there are currently seven buildings at what is now the Skye Museum of Island Life (formerly, and listed as, Osmigarry Croft Museum). According to an excerpt on Canmore, the museum includes ‘various later 20th century re-creations’ with a ‘group of three original thatched buildings is preserved at the southern end of the complex’ (Miers, M. (2008) The Western Seaboard: an illustrated architectural guide. Edinburgh), which would account for the additional buildings. All seven of the structures have straw thatched roofs with continuous straw ridges. The roofs have all been entirely netted, including across the ridge, which has been weighted along the eaves with stones secured to the netting by wire. On two of the most westernly of the buildings, the stones hang from the eaves, whilst on the five other buildings they are hung slightly above the eaves resting on the thatch. According to the listing description notes, the dwelling, part of the original four listed buildings, was ‘lived in up to 1958’. Mary Miers states in her book that the group of three original thatched buildings originate in c.1790, but are of ‘traditional 19th century Skye vernacular appearance’.

Visited by Zoe Herbert (SPAB) 12 June 2015, survey no.097

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions