Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 3 - 10 Ramsay Garden

House (19th Century), House (18th Century), Tenement (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 3 - 10 Ramsay Garden

Classification House (19th Century), House (18th Century), Tenement (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Allan Ramsay's House; Ramsay Lodge; Ramsay Gardens

Canmore ID 111657

Site Number NT27SE 632.02

NGR NT 25378 73573

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/111657

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

REFERENCE: SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE (referring to Ramsay Lodge)

"My villa on the Castle Bank".

In his letter to Sir John Clerk, Allan Ramsay writes that he has been making his villa fit for habitation and he was now flitting.

1740 GD18/4344

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (26 September 2002)

Pair of dragon's heads face each other to form corner support for upper floors. Only the front paws are shown and these are supported on stone ledges. Body forms a spiral coil and wing above each. Long necks and open mouths.

Inspected By : D. King

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Design period : 1893-1894

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN1004)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions