Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Golspie, Station Road, Heavitree House And Cottage

Farmhouse (Period Unassigned), Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Hotel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Golspie, Station Road, Heavitree House And Cottage

Classification Farmhouse (Period Unassigned), Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Hotel (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Sutherland Railway Hotel; Old Heavitree Farm

Canmore ID 111090

Site Number NH89NW 40

NGR NH 82953 99792

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/111090

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Golspie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Activities

External Reference (2010)

Heavitree was originally built by the local carter, James Anderson, around 1850. The Duke of Sutherland purchased the property around 1870 and opened up the Sutherland Station Hotel (as it appears on the 1st edition OS map of 1873). The propertywas later run as a farm and had several outbuildings including a steading with the farm using the fields along Ferry Road and Goslpie Golf course until 1974 for grazing the farm's sheep. In 1907 a Mrs Gordon lived at Heavitree as noted in her obituary in the Northern Times. Mr George Lyall later ran Heavitree Farm from the property where Bella Mackay was employed as a dairymaid. From 1946 the Robertson family ran the farm; Willie Robertson lived in the farm until his death. Heavitree is no longer run as a farm and the adjacent land was sold and an additional two houses now stand in the courtyard. Sutherland Estates remain the owners of Heavitree House and it is currently (2010) let.

Information from the ARCH Community Timelines Course, 2010

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions