Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Hill Of Shurton

Cairn(S) (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Hill Of Shurton

Classification Cairn(S) (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Canmore ID 1108

Site Number HU44SW 15

NGR HU 4418 4026

NGR Description HU 4418 4026 and HU 4422 4009

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/1108

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Shetland Islands
  • Parish Lerwick
  • Former Region Shetland Islands Area
  • Former District Shetland
  • Former County Shetland

Archaeology Notes

HU44SW 15 4418 4026 and 4422 4009.

HU 442 401. Vestiges of what is probably a cairn lie on Hill of Shurton on the summit of North Ward of Wick.

It is now greatly denuded and deep-set under a heavy growth of peat, but the trace of a curved wall-face is noticeable on the NW for a length of 12 ft. as well as many large loose stones in the centre of the mound. A hoard of stone implements was found on a bare patch close by the mound, (HU44SW 1).

The peat in the area is from 12' to 15' deep in some places, and in clearings of their depth to the East and West of the cairn, the foundations of dykes built of large stones have been exposed and may be contemporary.

C S T Calder 1965.

Mr. Peter Moar believes that there were once two cairns on this hill. (Mr Peter Moar)

The cairn described by Calder is at HU 4417 4027. It has been further disturbed by the erection of a GPO TV pole and is now amorphous. It may not, in fact, be a cairn but the remains of an OS shelter - at one time there was an OS triangulation point on the site. The only traces of a dyke in the area were seen where the peat is 3 to 4ft. thick. It apparently skirts the south side of the cairn. There are also the remains of a possible cairn at HU 4421 4009. In the centre of what appears to be two sides of a cist about 1.5m by 1.2m but it may be a modern fire-place.

Visited by OS(AA) 25th May 1968.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions