Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Skye, Tusdale

Field System (Period Unassigned), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Skye, Tusdale

Classification Field System (Period Unassigned), Township (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 11032

Site Number NG32NE 3

NGR NG 358 255

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/11032

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Bracadale
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NG32NE 3 358 255.

(NG 358 255) Tusdale: shown as a township in 1824, (W Johnson's Map of Skye, 1824) but three buildings only occupied (roofed) in 1875 (OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 1st ed.).

The population of Bracadale in 1841 was 1824. By 1881 it had dropped to 929. The land was divided amongst tenant farmers and Glenbrittle, which was occupied by crofters in fairly comfortable circumstances, was converted into a sheep-run. From Tusdale about a dozen families were cleared away (A Nicolson 1930).

Visited by OS (A C) 22 December 1960; A Nicolson 1930.

Tusdale, a large depopulated township, comprises about 24 houses with outbuildings and enclosures divided into 4 distinct groups. It was a run-rig township, with much lazy-bed cultivation in evidence, situated on the lower slopes of the well-watered Tusdale at about 250' OD.

The group of buildings at NG 359 256 consists of five ruined houses and yards, and one which survives to the wall-head and a substantial house of mortar-set faced stones with chimneys &c. and outbuildings, also now roofless; probably a sheep-farm.

Visited by OS (C F W) 7 June 1961.

A township, comprising four roofed, sixteen unroofed buildings, two enclosures and a field-system is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire, Isle of Skye 1881, sheet xxxvii). Twenty-eight unroofed buildings and one enclosure are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1965).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 12 November 1996.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions