Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ullapool, 1 Custom House Street, Drill Hall

Drill Hall (First World War), Drill Hall (19th Century)

Site Name Ullapool, 1 Custom House Street, Drill Hall

Classification Drill Hall (First World War), Drill Hall (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) School Hall

Canmore ID 110253

Site Number NH19SW 28

NGR NH 12874 94294

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2023.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Lochbroom
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (19 July 2013)

The drill hall and the adjoining house for the instructor (see NH19SW 28.01) were built around 1887. The hall is rubble-built with ashlar detailing. The door and window openings are round-topped. The hall has sash-and-case windows. There is a louvred opening above the hall door. The hall has a curved-profile corrugated iron roof. There is a second door on the side elevation and lean-to at the rear. The interior is partly finished with tongue and groove boarding, to an arched roof with thin metal tie-beams.

In 1914 the hall was the drill station for "E" Squadron, 2nd Lovat's Scouts and base for "E" Company, 4th battalion Seaforth Highlanders.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 19 July 2013.

Architecture Notes

NH19SW 28 12874 94294

NH19SW 28.01 12886 94283 2 Custom House Street


Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions