Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Auchtermeggities, Balmadies House

Country House (Period Unassigned), Garden (Period Unassigned), Landscape (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Auchtermeggities, Balmadies House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned), Garden (Period Unassigned), Landscape (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Ochterlony

Canmore ID 110149

Site Number NO54NE 52

NGR NO 55273 49705

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/110149

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Rescobie
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Summary Record (10 December 2013 - 19 January 2014)

Balmadies House is a villa-mansion house with the Mains Farm 0.35 km west of the house. It lies on the 70 metre contour line, south of the A932 Forfar to Friockheim road. It is set in wooded policies and gardens with a walled garden to the south-west. It is protected from the north-east by a strip of woodland through which the drive passes. The present villa- house replaced a previous 17th century house. The house and farm were built in 1821 by George Sharp, mason in Edinburgh for Henry Stephens, an agriculturalist and author of Book of the Farm to replace the previous 17th century house.

Information from the Angus Recording Group of the garden History Society in Scotland, 2015

Architecture Notes

NO54NE 52.00 55273 49705 Balmadies House

NO54NE 52.01 55130 49745 Stables

NO54NE 52.02 Cancelled

NO54NW 45 54963 49691 Mains of Balmadies

NO54NW 69 54064 49560 Red Lodge

NO55SE 48 55089 50355 North Lodge

NO55NE 49 55145 50105 Bridge

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions