Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Auchtemarack

Lime Kiln (Period Unassigned), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Auchtemarack

Classification Lime Kiln (Period Unassigned), Township (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Achtemarack

Canmore ID 110053

Site Number NH43SE 21

NGR NH 47061 31802

NGR Description Centred NH 47061 31802

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/110053

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Urquhart And Glenmoriston
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH43SW 21 centred 47061 31802

A township comprising one unroofed and ten roofed buildings, a sheepfold and six enclosures is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet xxix).

Two unroofed and four roofed buildings and six enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1976).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH), 17 May 1996.

The remains of four buildings, two enclosures and a limekiln stand around the edges of Achtemarack farmsteading. The best-preserved building stands on the W side of the farm track, to the S of the present farmhouse. It measures 8.8m from NE to SW by 3.8m within rubble walls 0.6m thick and up to 1m high. It is divided into two compartments, and a fuel tank now stands in the NE compartment. The entrance is not visible, though it was probably on the SE, opening onto a terrace that runs the length of that side of the building. The other three buildings and two small enclosures lie about 80m to the ENE (centred NH 4714 3184), and the limekiln is close to the farm track at NH 47107 31793.

The township of Achtemarack, comprising thirteen buildings, a limekiln and several enclosures is depicted on George Brown's 1808 'Plan of the Davoch of Gartalie' (National Archives of Scotland, RHP 11954). The limekiln appears to be in approximately the same position as that noted above, but it is not possible to match any of the four buildings with those depicted on the map. All four, however, are amongst the ten roofed buildings shown on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1875, sheet xxix). The Name Book (ONB 1871) describes Achtemarack as 'a small clachan of thatched houses in which there is two medium sized farm houses with suitable outstanding office houses all in fair repair'.

(URQ97 162)

Visited by RCAHMS (SDB), 6 November 1997.

ONB 1871.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions