Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Andrews, 12 North Street

No Class (Event)

Site Name St Andrews, 12 North Street

Classification No Class (Event)

Canmore ID 109505

Site Number NO51NW 281

NGR NO 5122 1672

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/109505

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish St Andrews And St Leonards
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Activities

Watching Brief

NO51NW 281 5122 1672

NO 5122 1672 In June 1996 SUAT undertook an archaeological watching brief on foundation trenches for a small development in garden ground belonging to St Andrews Preservation Trust at their museum at 12 North Street. The observations revealed stone foundations for 19th-century outhouses, two cobbled surfaces, garden soil and subsoil. All pottery and finds date from the 19th century. Some oyster shell retrieved could indicate medieval activity. No features or deposits dating from the medieval period were encountered.

A further small watching brief was undertaken on the excavation of two post-holes in the same garden in September 1996. Even with the very limited nature of this watching brief, evidence for medieval activity was recovered. It appears that a medieval garden soil does survive up to a depth of at least 0.5m. No evidence of midden spreads or industrial material was found. This adds to the overall picture of medieval deposition in this part of St Andrews and demonstrates that further development in the area would merit archaeological investigation.

Sponsor: St Andrews Preservation Trust.

R Cachart and J Mackenzie 1996

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions