Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Brenchoillie Bridge

Road Bridge (18th Century)

Site Name Brenchoillie Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Brenchoille Bridge; Leacann Water; Furnace

Canmore ID 109032

Site Number NN00SW 16

NGR NN 02339 01900

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/109032

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilmichael Glassary
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NN00SW 16 02339 01900

Location formerly cited as NN 0234 0190.

NN 0234 0191. Bridge (NR)

(OS 1:50000 map 1997)

Brenchoillie Bridge, circa 1780, signposted as an historic bridge.

Visited by OS GHN) November 1996.

This bridge carries a track leading to Brenchoillie house (NN00SW 33.00) over the Leacann Water about 1.75km N of Furnace village (NN00SW 32). The river here forms the boundary between the parishes of Kilmichael Glassary (to the W) and Inveraray (to the E).

The bridge is depicted, but not noted, on the 1975 edition of the OS 1:10,000 map.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 17 May 2006.

Activities

Construction (1770 - 1799)

Built late 18th century. Builder unknown although may be influenced by Aray, Inveraray Bridge (1773-76, NN00NE )

Field Visit (June 1984)

This small two-arched bridge now carries a farm road across the Leacann Water, 1.8km N of Furnace and 0.5km SE of Brenchoillie farmhouse. There were at least two bridges spanning the Leacann by 1744, when the 'Laigh Bridge' was first mentioned, while in 1756 the Commissioners of Supply approved a proposal by the Argyll Furnace Company for a new bridge, possibly on the present site. At this period there was much discussion about road-lines in the area, but by the end of the 18th century the main road S of Auchindrain appears to have diverged from the present A83 about 150m NE of the Brenchoillie bridge (NN 024019), running along the hillside above the E bank of the Leacann Water to a bridge in Furnace village (en.1*).

The bridge at Brenchoillie, which linked this road with the routes from Lochaweside (No. 274), appears to reflect the influence of Mylne's Aray Bridge design of 1773 (No. 255), and was probably built in the last quarter of the 18th century. The bridge, which is built of lime-mortared rubble-masonry, measures 19m in length including the approaches, and carries a roadway 3.6m wide within 0.5m parapet-walls. The segmental E and W arches have respective spans of 4.6m and 4.3m, and each measures about 1.9m to the soffit from water-level, the voussoirs being formed by thin slabs about 0.6m long. Above the triangular cutwaters on both faces of the central pier there are circular recesses 1m in diameter and 0.2m in depth.

RCAHMS 1992, visited June 1984

Publication Account (2007)

R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007b

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Highland and Islands' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions