Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Fort William, Corpach, Caledonian Canal, Storehouse

Storehouse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Fort William, Corpach, Caledonian Canal, Storehouse

Classification Storehouse (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Coal Depot

Canmore ID 108635

Site Number NN07NE 15

NGR NN 09606 76664

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/108635

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kilmallie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Storehouse and workshop, 19th century, the former with large segmental-headed entrance facing the canal. The diminutive lighthouse tower and three-bay house are additions of c.1913 .

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NN07NE 15 09606 76664

See also NN07NE 9.00.

Activities

Note (31 March 2011)

This one storey, whitewashed, rubble building with slate piended roof is in good repair. There is a cartway entrance on the lock side. The roof has been replaced, the wall head has been built up to accommodate the new roof in one corner. It is now used as a general store by British Waterways.

Information from RCAHMS (MMD), 31 March 2011.

Field Visit (16 October 2013 - 16 October 2013)

Corpach, Storehouse and old stables. NN07NE 15

This stone building is on a SE-NW alignment and measures 12m x 8m. The building has an arched doorway in its south side, 2.5m in width, but otherwise no windows. It has a wooden roof which is slated on the outside and there are headings at the tops of the walls which overhang, by 6cms or so, on both inside and out. The building has a cobbled floor inside which slopes towards a central drain running SW-NE.

Visited by Scottish Canals Recording Project (MM), 16 October 2013

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions