Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Skye, Vatten

Souterrain (Prehistoric)

Site Name Skye, Vatten

Classification Souterrain (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Roskill

Canmore ID 10849

Site Number NG24SE 2

NGR NG 2805 4483

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/10849

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Duirinish
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NG24SE 2 2805 4483.

(NG 2805 4483) Erd House (NR)

OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)

There is an earth-house on Vatten Farm, having its entrance in the face of a precipitous bank, over- hanging a deep ravine. A passage about 3' in height and near the same in breadth, roofed by stones laid on as lintels, leads inwards to the distance of 60' or 70', when it opens into what appears to have been a central chamber of considerable extent, arched over with stone, and from 4' to 5' in height. Off this room several narrow galleries branch in various directions but to what extent has never been ascertained.

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845.

The site of this earth-house lies barely 200 yards NE of Rosgill School, on the steep left bank of the Rosgill River. The entrance passage ran under the surface of the ground at right angles to the burn but no trace of the building is now to be seen.

RCAHMS 1928.

There are no visible remains of this earth-house. The site of the entrance was pointed out and takes the form of a shallow depression in the bank of the burn which if extended would coincide with a stone-filled depression in the NE side of an old enclosure which may be part of the collapsed passage.

Visited by OS (C F W) 15 May 1961.

Activities

Field Visit (13 May 1915)

Earth-house, Rosgill.

The site of this earth-house lies barely 200 yards north-east of Rosgill School, on the steep left bank of the Rosgill River. The entrance passage ran under the surface of the ground at right angles to the burn, but no trace of the building is now to be seen.

RCAHMS 1928, visited 13 May 1915.

OS map: Skye xxi.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions