Township (Period Unassigned)
- Council Highland
- Parish Ardnamurchan
- Former Region Highland
- Former District Lochaber
- Former County Argyll
Linear holdings provided for those evicted during the 1820s and 50s characterise townships created at that time, such as Portuairk (reached by road only in 1950-1) and Sanna, whose children walked over the hills to school at Achosnich. Most dwellings intact today are those 'improved' with housing grants and loans available after 1926, now mostly holiday cottages. Achnaha remains a honeycomb of broken walling, although a barn (still in use) and a house have recently been re-thatched. Eastwards, where the landscape is refreshed with sweet green grazings, townships were cleared c.1850 for the Swordle and Ockle farms (some holdings being reassigned after the Great War).
Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk
NM46NW 9 Centred on 448 694
A township comprising five unroofed, twenty-nine roofed buildings and four enclosures is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire 1876, sheet xiv). Thirteen unroofed, six partially roofed, seventeen roofed buildings and fifteen enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 16 April 1998.