Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

North Queensferry, Main Street, Brae House

House (18th Century)

Site Name North Queensferry, Main Street, Brae House

Classification House (18th Century)

Canmore ID 108064

Site Number NT18SW 191

NGR NT 13085 80575

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Inverkeithing
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife


Photographic Survey (September 1960)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record in September 1960.

Publication Account (1999)

Brae House and White House date from 1771x78. Facing southwards, looking over West Bay, these two-storeyed houses are harled with slated roofs, although White House now has modern slates. B

ae House has its lintel engraved 'TB 1771', piended dormers and an inscribed door lintel. A three-faced sundial, dating from 1778, would have been a useful timepiece for those making for the ferry boat. These stood on the new route way under construction at this time (seep 46).

Information from ‘Historic North Queensferry and the Peninsula: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1999).


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions