Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Leith Hall, East Drive, Railway Bridge

Railway Bridge (19-20th Century)

Site Name Leith Hall, East Drive, Railway Bridge

Classification Railway Bridge (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Leithhall, East Drive, Bridge Over Railway; Leith Hall Policies

Canmore ID 107672

Site Number NJ52NW 4.05

NGR NJ 54353 29381

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/107672

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Kennethmont
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Railway bridge, Leith Hall east drive, 1852-4, Alexander Gibb. Distinguished by battered, rusticated buttresses and balustraded parapets; detailing possibly by William Smith who was Gibb's brother-in-law.

Taken from "Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie - An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Ian Shepherd, 2006. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NJ52NW 4.05 54353 29381

This bridge was built in 1852-4 to carry the East Drive to Leith Hall over the (Aberdeen-Inverness) main line of the Great North of Scotland Rly; Sir Bejamin Hale, Blyth, was the consultant but detail work was by Gibb. The bridge comprises a single semi-elliptical skew arch with raised V-jointed voussoirs, battered buttresses with pulvinated rustication, a parapet over the arch balustrade and square balusters.

NMRS, MS/712/11.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions