Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Larichmore Viaduct

Railway Viaduct (19-20th Century)

Site Name Larichmore Viaduct

Classification Railway Viaduct (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Larichmore Railway Viaduct; Brunery Burn; Drochaid Na Laraiche Moire

Canmore ID 107588

Site Number NM68NE 24

NGR NM 67457 86612

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/107588

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Arisaig And Moidart
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

In 1897-1901, making pioneering use of mass concrete, engineers Simpson & Wilson produced for the North British Railway's 40 mile West Highland Line extension a series of bridges, culverts, platforms, retaining walls, 11 tunnels and six viaducts, which have defied corrosion. This monument to concrete engineering earned for its contractor Robert McAlpine the nickname 'Concrete Bob'. Viaducts: six-arched at Arnabol, eight-arched at Loch Nam Uamh (four each side of a great central concrete pylon); three-arched (with rusticated voussoirs) crossing the Brunery Burn at Larachmor and, most daring of all, a central span leaping 12 7.5 ft over a steep gully at Borrodale, twice the span of any existing arch at the time.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NM68NE 24 67457 86612

A RCAHMS photographic survey of Larichmore Viaduct was undertaken, during July 1997, in order to enhance and augment the existing National Monuments Record Scotland holdings.

Visited by RCAHMS(MKO), July 1998.

Activities

Aerial Photography (3 May 2007)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions