Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Drumchapel, Garscadden, Jedworth Avenue, General

Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Drumchapel, Garscadden, Jedworth Avenue, General

Classification Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Gng4; N4; Clyde Aa Defences; Bearsden

Canmore ID 107531

Site Number NS57SW 66

NGR NS 5291 7136

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/107531

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish New Kilpatrick (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

42-52 Jedworth Avenue, 1992, Simister Monaghan

Refurbishment of three-storey flats, atop another drumlin, for Housing Association. Saltire Society Commendation, 1994.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NS57SW 66 52914 71363

The site of this heavy anti-aircraft battery has now been built on by post-war housing. The battery consisted of four gun emplacements and command post, with the GL mat (gun laying radar hexagon) lying immediately to the SE. The accommodation camp was situated to the NW.

Information from RCAHMS (DE) July 1997

This World War II heavy anti-aircraft battery was situated on the S side of what is now Kinfauns Drive. Nothing survives in an area now covered by modern housing. The battery was armed with four 4.5-inch guns.

J Guy 2001; NMRS MS 810/11, Part 3, 218-19

The battery, radar Gl-mat and accommodation camp are all visible on RAF WW II oblique and vertical air photographs (RAF F309, 3651 B & C, 3682A & B and 3683 A & B, flown 6 June 1941). Information from a Mr Fleck would suggest the battery was supplied with four 3.7-inch guns (letter to RCAHMS from Mr Fleck, Drumchapel, dated 5 February 2003).

Information from RCAHMS (DE), February 2003.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions